Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Freezer Demolition 101...

If you have read my recent post my mom is coming into town tomorrow! Therefore that means that I am in the middle of cleaning my apartment. It doesn't matter how old you are, but whenever you know your mom is coming to your house you always tidy up. You know I am right... just think about when your mom comes to visit, don't you clean your house too?

As stated in my first post I have a 1970's refrigerator. It run's fine, except when it comes to my freezer a.k.a icebox. My tiny box fills with ice and then it gets to the point where I can no longer close the freezer door. This has happened twice before but my boyfriend is usually coming soon and I just wait for him to fix it. (Don't think I am lazy.. if someone is willing to do it for you, why not let them?) I have never watched him defrost it, but he told me he used a hair dryer. So when I decided to defrost it myself I thought, how hard could it be?

Materials Needed for task: Hot pink hair dryer, Anthropology apron, cake pan, bottle of water, spoon,  deodorant, aviator sunglasses, knife, camera, prayer, 6 towels, a wide bathroom door, and an oven mitt.

Before: Look at the ice at the top, bottom, and bottom left - prohibits the door from closing
I had already started to scrap some with the spoon, but my hand was freezing and the ice wasn't coming off. I remembered that my boyfriend told me that he used a hair dryer. I thought "That will be fairly easy, I will get my hair dryer."

Hair Dryer next to the intimidating block of ice
I started to use the hair dryer and it was a slow process. It was antagonizing slow. (I have patience, but not for something like this.) At this time, I decide that while I was blow drying, I would chisel away at the ice simultaneously. (This should be a good time to say that I don't like doing manual labor... and yes I consider this manual labor. Once you do this task then you can question me on whether its manual labor or not, but not until then.) This was harder than I expect it to be. I was chiseling and blow drying and ice/water was getting everywhere. Once my clothes were half way soaked, I decided this would be a good time to put on my beautiful anthropology apron.

While I am chiseling this painstakingly stubborn ice, a chunk of it flies off and hits me square in the forehead. I couldn't believe the next thought that came to my head after the ice hit me.. "I wish I had safety glasses." (My parents have worked at a chemical plant all my life. Therefore, all I ever heard growing up was ,"You have to protect your eyes, wear safety glasses." Which I never did, because I think they look silly. Just my personal opinion, No offense to anyone that enjoys wearing safety glasses.)  

Lets recap: It's 10:00 p.m., I am wearing aviator sunglasses, an apron, an oven mitt, while using a hot pink hair dryer to melt my freezer. At times like these I feel like my life could be a T.V. show...

Half way done
Once I got to the half way point I had to stop to take a break. You think standing in front of your fridge and freezer would make you cold. On the contrary, it does opposite. I took a break to rehydrate myself and to reapply deodorant. (Just keeping it real) I continued on until I realized I had another problem.

That's right... drawer FULL of water
Remember when I said I was clumsy? The drawer was almost full of water. This is when I started to pray. I knew I was clumsy and the only way, I mean the ONLY way, I was going to be able to carry this drawer to my shower to dump it, is if I prayed not to spill it. (I had to take it to my shower, because my sink had dirty dishes in it from my dinner.)

So I said a prayer. Looked at the drawer full of water and then said another prayer. I ever so slowly pulled the drawer out and I almost had it out, when the drawer got stuck. I quickly began to panic because the drawer was heavier than I anticipated and the water was splashing around everywhere. I said another prayer and the drawer came loose. Now for the tricky part. I slowly turned my body towards the bathroom door. As I slowly walked to the door, I quickly began to asses the size of the door to the size of the drawer. Before I began, I automatically assumed that drawer would fit through the door. (I know where assuming gets me... hadn't I learned my lesson yet) I panically looked back at the sink and there was no way for me to dump the water in there without making a huge mess. I looked back at the door and said, "Here goes nothing." (Side note: I looked up the phrase 'Here goes nothing' - definition: I am beginning to do something that will fail or be poorly done. That's exactly how I felt at that moment) I slowly started walking through the door and I heard 'splat' of water hit the floor, I took an another step and heard another 'splat' hit the floor. I didn't even want to look. I thankfully made it through the door and was able to dump the water down the shower drain. 

After Photo
FINALLY.... is all I can say. 

I do not even want to tell you what time I finished. I am happy with the finished product, but I am positive in saying that I will NEVER DO THIS AGAIN. 

The end. 







1 comment:

  1. Haha, you have the funniest stories! I'm sorry that you had to do manual labor, but it'll pay off now that you have it all cleaned out! Haha, I was cracking up when I read this. Good job though and have fun with Mom the next two weeks! I am totally jealous! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete