Monday, July 19, 2010

When did they get wings?

           When I originally moved into my apartment complex I lived on the top floor. They had just changed the building from a hotel to an apartment, so this was a brand new clean room. Except it had one problem: it was extremely hot! For a girl that was use to the joys of air conditioning, moving into an apartment building that had no central air conditioning was a crude joke. However, my generous landlords offered me an apartment on a lower floor because it would be cooler. They mentioned that the tenant would be moving out in two weeks and I could have her apartment by then.
           Within those two weeks I had never perspired so much in my life. When my landlords handed me the keys to my new apartment I was more than ready to start moving my things in. However, this apartment had been lived in before and it was evident. As I started to clean my new apartment, every time I would move a piece of furniture I kept finding these small round black things everywhere. I found them behind the beds, behind the dresser, in the cabinets, and behind the toilet. I had no idea what they were. As I looked closer on the round black things, it had the words "combat" on the top. Since I never owned my own place before and never really did any house repairs before I didn't know what these were. I remember calling my parents and explaining to them how I found all these little black round things everywhere. They proceeded to explain to me how these were to kill roaches.
          I would have been fine if I had found one or two of these combat roach killers, but everywhere I looked I kept finding more. I began to wish that I was back sitting in my first apartment perspiring my life away. However, I had already moved all of my extremely heavy luggage down the steps and there was no way I was taking it back up the steps, so this was the apartment that I was going to live in. By the way, my apartment complex doesn't have an elevator either. No central AC, no elevator,  and no dishwasher in my apartment building... How much more "roughing it" could it get or could I take? Anyways, I figured the tenant before me must have kept the apartment dirty which I wasn't going to do, so I figured I wouldn't have a roach problem. I swept all of the combat circles up and went on my merry way. I mean how many roaches could survive with all of those combat roach killer things laying around?
         I didn't see any roaches for a long time and I was very pleased with myself. When I came back from Christmas I was unpacking my bags and saw a roach. I hadn't been there in a long time and there was no food laying around, so where in the world did this roach come from? I killed it and said to myself, "I am not having roaches in here, this stops today." I went to walmart and you can guess what I purchased: Combat roach killer things. (I still don't know the exact name for them) I never saw another roach again. I figured the combat was working or that roach was just a wonderer and was the only one there.
         7 months had passed since I had seen a roach and I was cleaning my apartment because one of my friends, Laura, was coming to visit me. I didn't want to her to think my apartment was infested with roaches when she showed up and it would have been hard to believe with the combat everywhere. Since I hadn't seen a roach in months, I decided to sweep up all of the combat things I had behind some furniture. The visit with Laura went fine and there were no signs of any roaches, but I was expecting any either, so there was nothing out of the ordinary for about 2 weeks. That is, until last night.
         Being from the South I was used to seeing roaches. They don't scare me. When you see a roach, you get a shoe and kill it. Simple problem, simple solution. Roaches go away during the winter months in the South because they don't enjoy the cold. However, living on an island where there is sun 365 days  a year, this is a roaches play ground. Seriously, I have never seen so many roaches in my whole life until I moved to an island. Anyways, I was brushing my teeth last night when I saw something out of the corner of my eye scurry across the wall. It startled me because you never expect to see something crawl across your wall. It ended up be a roach. I thought "Oh it's just a roach, I need to go get a shoe." I went to grab my flip flop to go kill it. I swung my flip flop against the wall where the roach was. However, when I swung my flip flop something flew to the toilet. I move my flip flop and the roach was gone. I was in shock.. was that the roach that flew to the toilet?? I thought, "When did they get wings?" I put the toilet lid down to kill the roach, I swung again and the roach disappeared. This sucker was fast. I slowly moved stuff off the top of my toilet and swung again. I not only hit the roach, but I also hit my basket full of hair rubber-bands and bobby pins. Things went flying everywhere. Simultaneously, the roach went flying to the floor, where it would be defeated, while I was being showered in hair rubber bands and bobby pins. I was out of breath when it was all done and over with.. I have never met a roach that was so fast. Needless to say, I will be making a stop at walmart and I am sure you know what I will be buying... combat

No comments:

Post a Comment