Thursday, July 29, 2010

After The Rain...

Ok some of you have seen my apartment and others haven't. My apartment does not have central air therefore I do not have "real" windows. They are called jalousie windows (I googled it). They are the one with the slants that you have to roll open and then roll close that way the breeze can flow through your apartment. 

Anyways, I walked into my bathroom (where I leave my windows open) the other night and it smelled just like it smells right after it rains. I love that smell and was really excited but I didn't remember it ever raining earlier that night. I didn't think twice about it and just decided to go to bed. The next morning I got up to take a shower and as soon as I stepped in my bathroom, it smelled just like it does right after the rain again. I was pleased because I love that smell, but I thought that it was kind of odd because I could clearly see the sun shining through my window. But I do live on a tropical island and the rain comes and goes. I just figured it had rained before I got up and I never realized it. I continued on with my day and never thought about it again. After I came home from work I walked into my bathroom and sure enough it smelled like it had just rained. At this moment, I realized that this was weird. The windows are above my shower and about a head taller than me, so I can't really get that close to them, but I was going to try. I walked towards my windows and started to see if the smell was coming from there (that was the most logical idea since it did smell like it had been raining and because that was the only source in my bathroom that has access to the outside). I couldn't really tell a difference and just thought to myself this is so strange. However I wasn't going to complain because I enjoyed the smell and didn't really think the situation was that big of a deal, I mean it is only a smell. The next morning, same thing. This was no coincidence.  At that moment, I decided that I probably needed to investigate where this smell was coming from. I walked into my shower and started jumping up to my windows to see if I could smell it coming from there. But my bathroom is small and my whole bathroom smelled that way, so then I realized that the jumping was pointless and it got me nowhere. I then decided that I would go smell all my other windows to figure out if it had the after the rain smell radiating from it. Of course, none of them did. Next, I decided to stand in front of my bathroom door and walk slowly until I smelled it. Standing outside my bathroom door I couldn't smell it, however when I took one step in my bathroom, I smelled it. I took a step back, no smell. Step forward, after the rain smell again. You get the picture. I looked around my bathroom and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I was baffled. But as they say, "The show must go on" so I went to work. 

This continued for about one more day, until that next night when I was getting ready for bed. The after the rain smell still lingered as I washed my face and started to brush my teeth. As exciting as watching myself brush my teeth in the mirror is, I started looking at my shelf in my bathroom that has some pictures on it. Then something on my shelf caught my eye. A light bulb went off in my head when I read the words "After the Rain." I had recently purchased a Renuzit air freshener. It isn't the kind that you plug in the wall, it is the air freshener that just sits out. I always purchased the raspberry scent, but last time I was at walmart I decided I was going to try a new scent. Guess what the new scent is called... "After the Rain" So of course, sitting on the shelf was my newly purchased air freshener "After the Rain." I felt like the biggest idiot. I couldn't believe that I had forgotten that I bought the scent. I shook my head in disbelief at myself, but was pleased that my $1.55 purchase worked so well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment