Monday, July 12, 2010

The Noise...

I will be updating my blog with stories that I have written through out the year. Enjoy!

It was either late September or early October, about a month or two after I moved to Hawaii. I was living an extremely demanding lifestyle of going to the beach everyday, sleeping in late, and doing my homework to turn in at the end of the week. Living in Hawaii has it perks, but it also has its disadvantages; for instance not living in the 21st century. For example, no dishwasher, no central air conditioning, a 1970's refrigerator, and no real windows. From a girl that enjoyed living a 21st century lifestyle, I was suddenly thrown into this caveman century and trying to figure out how everything worked. I was still trying to figure out the best way to hand wash dishes without getting soap and hot water all over myself, my walls, counters, and floors. (There are several ways to hand wash a dish, if you didn't know..) I was still figuring out how to use a coin operated clothes washer and dryer, they can be tricky. Then trying to decide if I should pay the extra $1.25 to dry my towels again, because the dryer isn't up to par and my towels would still come out wet. Even though I had a plethora of dimes and nickels, unfortunately the coin operated dryer wasn't like a vending machine and I could only use quarters, which I was quickly running low on. I decided to concede to this caveman lifestyle and use a dryer rack( the apartment came with one) to dry my towels. I kept the dryer rack on my lanai (back porch) and would let my towels air dry. 

Since I didn't have a job at the time, I needed to go observe in the schools for one of my classes. Even though I had a demanding lifestyle at the time, I wasn't accustomed to waking up early. Side note: You know when you were growing up and you had a curfew. Your parents would always say, "Nothing good happens after 12, so there is no need to be out that late." (Of course, I don't remember my parents saying this to me, since I was such a responsibly and trustworthy teenager.) I feel like this saying could be equivalent to morning hours; "Nothing good happens before 9 a.m., so there is no reason to have to wake up so early." Waking up at 6am.. how does this benefit anyone? You are still tired and delirious until 9 am, so why not just start the day at 9am? I do not know what individual in history decided that a working day should begin before 9am, but I think society should really rethink working hours. Anyways, back to the story. I had to be at the school at 7:30, which meant waking up at 6am. Since my usual days consisted waking myself up at 10 am or later, 6am was going to be a struggle. 

My alarm went off at 6am, which I immediately pushed snooze, wishing for more sleep until the alarm went off again. However, having the caring mom that I have, she called to make sure that I was awake. Once she calls, you might as well wake up because she will call in incessantly if she thinks you might fall back asleep. ( However, I am not complaining. Because of her I have made it to several meetings and to work on time due to her calling system.) So I decided to get out of bed because I didn't want to be late. I opened my blinds to let the blinding light into my room to make sure that I stayed awake. Normally, I would turn the TV on too, for some noise to wake me up, but this morning I was to delirious to think, so I left it off. I walked into my bathroom to shower and realized I had no towels and couldn't remember if they were all dirty or clean, because I am delirious this early in the morning.  Then I remembered that they were on my lanai, so I opened my back door threw a towel over my right shoulder and started to walk to the shower. As I was walking to my bathroom I was right in front of my refrigerator and then all of a sudden I heard something. Being delirious, I couldn't make out what the noise was. I turned around and walked to see if the noise was coming from the TV, but the TV was off and the noise had stopped. I thought I might have just been hearing things because I was so tired. I wasn't really concerned with the noise, so I turned back around to walk to the bathroom. I walked in front of the refrigerator again and all of a sudden I heard the noise again. I concentrated really hard and realized that it was light soft music. I turned around to go look at my cell phone, even though I knew that it wasn't my ringtone, and all of sudden the music stopped again. I turned back around towards the bathroom and sure enough the music started again when I was by the refrigerator. I stood there trying to figure out what was going on. I then proceeded to look on top of my refrigerator for a cell phone. I didn't know whose cell phone it would be since no one else had been in my apartment. I then thought that maybe it was my new neighbors cell phone that I could hear through the wall. I thought for a second and realized it couldn't be that because I couldn't hear anything else my neighbors did through the walls, so why would I be able to hear a cell phone. I turned around towards the TV again and the music stopped. I turned back around towards the bathroom and it started. I started to think that I was going crazy, but I was going to figure this out. Still facing the bathroom, I took a step backwards and the music stopped. I then took a step forward and the music started again. Took a step back, no music. Took a step forward, music. At this point in time, I really thought I was going crazy. I realized that the music would start every time I took a step forward by the refrigerator. I figured I might be stepping on something, so I looked down under my foot but nothing was there. However, I realized where the music was coming from. 

Since I had been living in Hawaii, I had several sweet cards sent to me. I love getting mail and cards, so I decided to put my cards on display. I have pictures on top of my refrigerator door and I decided to put the cards on the bottom of my refrigerator door. If you know anything about my sister, you know she loves to buy cute and nice music cards. I suddenly realized that towel that I had innocently draped over my right shoulder was hitting the music card my sister had sent me. Every time I took a step forward the edge of the towel would open the card and would make the music start. Then every time I turned around to look behind me or take a step back the card would close and the music would stop. I was relieved that I wasn't going crazy and then continued on with my day. 

2 comments:

  1. bahahahaha anna this is so freaking hilarious!
    -alisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Construction of new room, getting the house painted and many more. Online home improvement loan is nothing but searching for a suitable noise from fridge

    ReplyDelete