Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Whistling...

Jalousie Window
      As stated in a previous post my apartment has Jalousie Windows. (This is not my window, but it looks exactly like this) You are never really alone with a window like this. Sometimes if your neighbors are on their lanai (porch), I can hear their conversations. My neighbor performs at restaurants, and every now and then, I hear him practicing his Ukulele. I do not mind it though because I love music and it is nice to listen to when I am painstakingly doing the dishes. (I really do hate cleaning dishes, if you can't tell)

     Speaking of music, I listen to music constantly. I have always loved music. Growing up I would just be randomly singing or whistling without realizing it, until someone would say something to me. (This was not my sister's favorite habit of mine)  Needless to say that has never stopped me from continuing the habit. *Side note: My dad also loves music (that's who I get it from), so my sister gets a double dose of it. My dad and I are both strong whistlers and when we are together we like to whistle songs together.*

     Anyways, this past Sunday I was sitting at my kitchen table working on homework. I had been listening to music all day, as usual, and the song "Sway" by Michael Buble got stuck in my head. (Dean Martin's version is better, but that is a topic for another post on another day) I was working on critiquing a research paper for class and was really concentrating. Well, without realizing it, I was whistling the song "Sway". (I guess it helps me think and process things) One of my friends texted me and that knocked me out of my deep concentration. Suddenly, I realized that I was whistling, but something sounded funny. 

I was whistling, but I was not alone. 

    Panic started to consume within me, did someone get into my apartment? No one could be in here though, because I can see both of my doors and they have not been opened. At that moment, I remembered stranger things have happened in this apartment, so no reason to lose hair over this.  I could hear two whistles. One whistle being my own, but the other whistle was not mine. I quickly stopped whistling to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. I sat quietly at my table and could hear someone else whistling. Where this other person was, I don't know. Had they been whistling with me the whole time? The second whistler, whistled for 30 more seconds and then stopped. I waited patiently for this second whistler to begin whistling. They didn't make one peep. I began to wonder if they were playing a game with me.

I mean is it really strange to hear more than one person whistle at a time? What are the odds that both of us were whistling and didn't know the other one was whistling?

    I felt like the ball was in my court (if this indeed was a game). I waited one more minute and heard nothing. I decided to make my move and then whistled a melody for a good 15 seconds and stopped. Then I eagerly awaited to see if my opponent would  strike back or wallow in defeat. Suddenly, I heard a distant whistle. At this point in time, I began to wonder, maybe they do not even hear me whistling and they are just whistling. The other whistle stopped and I decided to whistle again. (Looking back, I do not know why I continued whistling. I guess at the time, whistling was more entertaining than homework) Anyways, the second whistler did not continue, nor did I. I decided to turn on my music and focus on my homework. I haven't heard the second whistler since. On the contrary, I will be ready when they decide to whistle again. 

I am beginning to question if things like this happen to other people in their apartments? 

No comments:

Post a Comment