Tuesday, September 21, 2010

5 years...

I remember the first day that I met him.


I was a freshman in college and it was freshman move in day. His roommate helped my roommate and I move into our room. My parents had just left and the closest I was to anyone I knew was 2hrs and 45mins away, where my sister was in college. I didn't know anyone, but was excited because I love meeting new people. That night there was an ice cream social that the SGA (student government association) had in the courtyard. ALL of the freshman were there and it was extremely packed! I had gone with my three new found friends, two of those friends (Laura and Emily) are still one of my best friends today! The crowd was huge so we decided to stand to the side and talk amongst ourselves. Little did I know that the next people I would meet would change my life forever. 


Two senior guys from the SGA walked up and asked to take a picture for the welcome week slideshow. We probably would have turned them away, except we recognized the guy who helped us move in that day. He introduced himself, David, and then introduced his roommate whose name was David(my future boyfriend) as well. (I didn't believe that both of their names were David. I thought that they were trying to take advantage of a group of freshman girls and I wasn't falling for it. I wasn't born yesterday.) We ended up taking pictures as a group and became friends. (I still have that picture today, but not on the computer or I would show you)


The ice cream social was over and as were heading back to our dorm my friends decided to ask David (my future boyfriend) to go to Sadie Hawkins.  *Side note: Sadie Hawkins dance was always a huge deal for freshmen at the university I attended. Sadie Hawkins dance normally means that the girls ask the guys to the dance. However, I am very old fashioned when it comes to guys asking girls out. As soon as I heard about Sadie Hawkins, I immediately decided that I wasn't going to go. Guys are supposed to ask me out, not the other way around and I was not going to be talked out of it.* My friends decided to go as a group and ask one guy to go. All three of my friends had already asked David and then it was my turn. By the way, I still didn't believe that his name was David, so there was no way I was asking this random guy. Well...they ended up talking me into asking him and I am glad that they did. 


The Second Day I knew him.


I went to a small university, so you see the same people often. We ran into David throughout the day, but  I thought nothing of it. Later that afternoon there was a welcome week activity off campus and considering that fact that I had no idea where anything was David offered to give my friends and I a ride. He gave us his cell number and I distinctly remember putting his number in my cell phone and thinking I am never going to use this number, so why I am putting his number in here. (I do not mean that in a negative way. You know when you meet new people and put there number in your phone because you say you will hang out, but never end up using it. That's what I mean. If you don't know what I mean then, you are a better person I am)


The Third Day I knew him.


My three group of girlfriends and I quickly became friends with the seniors in the SGA. (David was in he SGA) They gave us rides everywhere! I remember Laura, Emily, the two Davids and I were headed to get ice cream one night. David (the roommate) decided to drive us. I remember walking to his car to sit in backseat. I noticed that David (my future boyfriend) was walking closely behind me. I thought it was strange. Couldn't he tell that I was getting in on this side of the car? I made it to the door and he reached around me to open the door.
"Ohh...ok.. I can get in on the other side of the car." - me


"(He smiled) Umm.. I was opening the car door for you.." - David (my future boyfriend)


"OH.. (I was dumbfounded, my jaw was probably hanging open) wow... thank you! " - me 


Needless to say, 5 years later I have still never opened a car door when he is around. 


The Second Week I knew him.


I was gone on a BSU (Baptist Student Union) retreat the first weekend of school. When we were heading back to school I noticed that the Northbound lanes had bumper to bumper traffic for miles. When we returned to school we realized that Hurricane Katrina was headed for us. I didn't grow up near the coast, so whenever their was a hurricane the only effects we got were rain. However, by the time I realized the seriousness of it all it was to late to leave. The interstate was packed and I was 5 hours away from home. My best bet was to stay at school. (I will write a Hurricane Katrina story one day) The next day we woke up and things with Katrina were just getting started. We didn't know a safe place to go, after all we had only been in college for 7 days! David ended up walking each of us to a safe building. He held on to us because the wind was strong and shielded us with his body because the rain was coming at us sideways at a million miles an hour. (Okay a slight exaggeration, but the rain was stinging when it hit my skin) He ended up taking care of my group of friends for the next day and a half. 


Those are some of my most precious memories that stick out from the first two weeks when I first met him. We started dating a month or so after these occurrences. This past Saturday was our 5 year anniversary and we couldn't be happier! We have had our ups and downs just like any couple but I would have changed a thing because we have grown from each situation. 


Hawaii


I remember the day that I had gotten accepted to Hawaii for graduate school. I was nervous to tell him because I wasn't sure how he would respond. I should have never been nervous because a negative word never (and still hasn't) came out of his mouth. He told me couldn't be more proud of me and thought I should take this once in a life time opportunity. He knew that living in Hawaii had always been a dream of mine and he didn't want to stand in the way. We discussed that a long distance relationship would be tough, but he assured me that we would be fine and everything would work out. Of course, he was right and our relationship is stronger today than it has ever been. People often ask how we make it work and I tell them I do not know how to explain it, it just works. We do not worry about the future because we know that God has a plan for us and we leave it up to him. 


I am extremely lucky to have a man of God that loves and supports me in everything that I do. He is my country boy and I am his city girl and we are like two peas in a pod. I love you David. 
Year 1
 
Year 2


Year 3
Year 4


Year 5

No comments:

Post a Comment