Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Goof Proof...

When I was unpacking my bags last week (even though I had arrived a week before that), I was putting my jewelry up and I noticed that one part of an earring had come off. Traveling half way around the world has it's up and downs and unfortunately the jewelry always gets the short end of the stick. Never the less, this does not mean that I throw away my jewelry. I can always find a way to fix it.

My sophomore year of college I constantly wore pearl earrings. One day I dropped my pearl earrings and the pearl came loose from the ear piece. I was devastated and wanted my earring to be fixed. Well as a sophomore in college, my brilliant mind decided to fix my earring with superglue. Why not go buy another pair? Why not take it some place to get fixed? Those thoughts didn't enter my mind at the time.  I went to Walmart and after looking at the different brands I saw the perfect one, "Goof Proof Super Glue". I was hooked. I thought 'this super glue was made for me.' (I have never been known as the graceful type, I am more along the lines of clumsy.) I took my handy goof proof super glue and set off back towards the dorms.

Goof Proof Definition: proof against human misuse or error.

Sitting at my desk, holding the goof proof super glue confidently in one hand and the earring piece in other, I set off to mend my beloved earring. Looking back, I am not sure if I read the directions or not, but if it is called 'goof proof' how could I mess up? I put the glue on the earring piece and put the pearl on it. I held the pieces together with both hands to make sure the pearl stayed. Except one tiny problem had occurred. Glue had gotten on both of my thumbs and index fingers. Both of my hands were glued to the earring. Panicking like any normal person in the situation would, I struggled to get my fingers off of the earring. It wasn't happening. I was able to get my right hand index finger and thumb free, but not without leaving some of my top layer of skin on the earring. After that, I sought out to find my friends for help. We were able to get the earring loose from left hand and I thought I was in the clear. Incredibly enough, I was explaining to my friend how I got my fingers glue to the earring and can you guess what happens? I was showing her what happened (without the earring) and when I touched my fingers together they wouldn't come apart.

Why do these things happen to me?

Nail polish remover, a Q-tip, and 30 minutes later my fingers came apart. I should have gotten my money back for false advertisement of 'Goof Proof.' Strangely enough this was not my last time of gluing my fingers/object together except they were never as bad as this incident. I always think I have to hold on to the object to make it stay until the glue dries, like you do with other glue. Over the years I have learned all you have to do is place the object on the super glue.

This brings me back to tonight and my earring. I was super gluing my earring back together and I almost made the fatal mistake again... but at least my earring is fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment