Sunday, November 28, 2010

Big Island...

David came to visit and we decided to go to the Big Island... well I wanted to go back to Kauai, but he really wanted to see a volcano and the Big Island is the only one with an active volcano. We had a great time.

I have been to the Big Island a couple of times, but I could only remember my first visit there. I was three years old. The only thing I remember was being scared to death when we were at the volcano park. I remember seeing the steam come through the ground and I thought the volcano was going to erupt. Whether or not that's how I really felt when I was three I have no idea, but that's how I remember it to be.

David and I flew into Hilo and our first stop was Akaka Falls. It was a short hike through a tropical rainforest and bamboo patches to see two waterfalls.
Akaka Falls
Our next stop was Punalu'u Black Sand beach.

Our next stop was the Volcano National Park. Half of the Volcano Park was closed due to the high amount of sulfur. (I think) 
Steam Vents

Lava Tubes
Volcano
Then our last stop was our lava ocean tour. We almost didn't make it because it was extremely hard to find! However, this was the best part of the trip! We went with Lava Ocean boating tour. There were several other boats out there, but out boat got the closest, was the safest boat, and was the largest boat. At times we were only 15 - 20 feet away from the lava pouring into the ocean! It was a two hour tour, 30 minutes there and back and they stayed an hour in front of the lava. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.





No comments:

Post a Comment